Friday, October 24, 2008

South Park Plugs Peru



So it finally happened. South Park takes a shot at Peru, Peruvians, and Peruvian culture. My friend had actually predicted this happening, i don't know how she was right but it finally happened. I'm of Peruvian descent just in case you're wondering.

This episode was a real test to see whether I could take a joke about myself, it wasn't directly against me, but it did make fun of me and my family's culture. I've been laughing at the shows incessant racism, prejudice, potty humor, and just outright twisted humor. I have to say, it has influenced me A LOT.

So I watched it and I have to say it was pretty funny. I wasn't too offended and actually laughed out loud when army personal in the cartoon couldn't find the a country called 'Peruvian' on the map.

I think a really important aspect of humor is being able to make fun yourself. Not in a self-demeaning way like a certain George Costanza, but in a throw a pie in your own face kind of way.

Speaking of which, I really hate peruvian pan-flute music too.

No comments: