Tuesday, October 7, 2008

9 Evenings - Variations VII by John Cage


So I got my DVD in the mail and was very excited! John Cage has been a favorite composer of mine so I was thrilled to learn that he was involved in the group. I had first learned about him in my Electronic Music class back at the UO. I instantly took a liking to him after seeing this video:



So I popped in the DVD and turned the speakers up, waiting contently for the composition to start. The transition from silence worked very well, before I knew it, I was already listening to the piece. The speaker on the screen was wailing loudly, like a war siren. It was a very intense yet subtle introduction to Variations VII.

The radio frequencies were filling the air and feedback of all sorts could be heard. I was starting to feel numbness from the collage of noises. Although it must have been noise to some in the audience(you could tell by some disappointing faces), it was music to me. The sound came together and really seemed to reach a climax after 3 or 4 minutes. The sounds just came together so well that it felt like nothing could possibly make this better.

It felt as if the sound had ended as soon as it came. There was only silence followed by applause. I thought it was one of his greatest piece of works, his ingenuity, his innovations, his quirk. It all played a roll in how all this came to be.

I recommend this DVD to anyone. You might want to be familiar with his work first, but you really don't have to, it's just that great.

No comments: