Monday, October 13, 2008

Laptop + Bauhaus

Well today after being somewhat embarrassed and vulnerable today in class(kidding), I bought a laptop. It's pretty nice, it's my first time owning a mac or a laptop. I've never used one extensively like this before. I've never really favored laptops, I always found them somewhat annoying, just being able to go to the internet and do whatever wherever you like? I dunno, it just never really appealed to me. I like just having one spot, where I can sit, relax, and do my thing. It's kind of like having your own study room, a single place where you can just work or do whatever...anyways...this is laptop is nice. I look forward to using it in the future.

The Bauhaus establishment sounded very interesting. I was excited to hear about it yet disappointed that I did not know about it earlier. It's really easy to learn about, and be influenced by, older artists and older movements because they are big parts of history being told time and time again. They've inspired many and continue to inspire but it's harder to learn about contemporary artists because they haven't been a big part of history yet. They're definitely vital to the progression of art but as far as being known, they're surely no Picasso or Van Gogh.

I'm glad this class exists basically. I like to see how my profession originated and evolved over recent time. I feel it was something that the UO lacked. I think a class like this should be required for the digital arts major, I mean, architect majors have to take history classes based on architecture, right? Anyways, I'll try not to rant but I truly believe this is an eye-opening experience.

I really like Herbert Bayer's work in typography. His 'Architype Bayer' font is really wonderful. I love designing fonts, althought tedious, it's something I've always wanted to invest more time in.

No comments: