Friday, October 3, 2008

Open Score - Robert Rauschenberg

So a friend of mine was able to loan me the movie documenting Robert Rauschenbergs work, 'Open Score'. I really didn't know what to expect, it was kind of eerie as the movie started with an explanation of what 9 Evenings was and then jumping right to the performance.


I enjoyed it but it really made me wish I was there to actually witness it. You definitely get a reaction out of watching it, but if one were to actually experience it made me wonder how my view on the piece would change. The film in color was very beautiful as well although I did enjoy watching more in black and white, it suites the performance much better in my opinion.


I did not understand the part in the end(might just have to watch it a couple more times), but I really liked a commentators explanation of how you wish a piece or performance would never end, and even though it does, there will always be a part if it you take with you, forever etched into your mind. I think he's describing that as the man is carrying the ghost person away, taking it with him, wherever he goes.


The explanation of how the technology was used in the piece was very interesting. I didn't know how far and how much work was put into Rauchsnbergs performance. These artists were very lucky to have the engineers fulfill their vision, and these engineers were lucky to have the artists stimulate them creatively and intellectually.


I recommend this DVD to anyone who's interested in Rauscenbergs work, here are some screenshots:






No comments: