Monday, January 5, 2009

Gary Panter


After reading Understanding Comics I become interested in comics as an art form. I was browsing an issue of Print, and they mentioned a 'comic artist' Gary Panter. It was a review on his new books featuring a large portion of his work. The books, of course, were expensive but much to my surprise the UO had some copies. I wasn't able to pick them up until today because of all the snow.

I've looked through many of the paintings and I have to say I'm a huge fan. I really feel like some of my older work is similar to this, the abstract drawings and colors, the fragmentation, the random lines, the disorientation....it's beautiful.

A lot of the work is related to 'Punk' culture especialy with some of the album covers that he made. A personal favorite of mine is the red hot chili pepper cover, I remember seeing this as a kid and being frightened by it but now I enjoy its crudeness.

His works make me want to paint! I don't paint so I don't have much to work with, maybe there's a place to get cheap acrylics...

No comments: