Thursday, January 8, 2009

BFA Stuff

So I'm making a recollection post about my review at the BFA. My reviewers were John Park, Ben Young, and Dave Anolik. I had presented well and the reviewers seemed to like it but the only quarrel they had was the concept and what kind of message if was trying to convey. I had a rough time trying to explain because sometimes I don't have a direct or narrow message that I want to send, but I guess to the viewer it could go many ways and in that way it was confusing.

I can't recall which artists they recommended I take a look at, but they did recommend looking into a magazine called COLORS.

http://www.colorsmagazine.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_(magazine)

It's a design-intensive magazine that seems to deal with social perspectives around the world. I haven't had a chance to take a glance, but it seems very interesting.

The reviewers then asked what my inspiration for doing this was and what I plan to do next. I told them that it was initially inspired by my studies on Latin America and then the American dream. The style was of my own, meaning there wasn't a particular style or artist that influenced the outlook of my work( well maybe just comics in genereal, that's probably it).

I then chatted with them about what I would do next, and I ran across one of my original ideas, which was to interview people about their american dreams and their thoughts on the american dream in general. It would be rotoscopped and would have multiple interviewees. The reviewers seemed to like the idea and almost favoured it because it would focus more on individuals, and not be so broad.

They were a great help in forumulating the idea, and the presentation in class helped a lot too. Hopefully I can have my questions done by the end of today, but I'm learning how to use Indesign right now, so I hope I have time!!!

1 comment:

colin ives said...

Joe, Zara sent out the names so that you could thanks them — you should have at least taken the time to look them up:

John Park, UO Faculty
Ben Young, Artist/UO Alum
Dave Anolik, Quango

Secondly, You should have taken notes so that you could follow up the artists they mentioned.

Colin